lunes, 15 de febrero de 2010

Auxiliar could.

Could and might show there is a chance that something will happen in the future.
Ejemplo:
You could have an accident
You might get hurt

Use ought to to give advice and to show there is one correct way to do something.
Ejemplo:
You look tired. You ought to go home.
You ought to wear your seat belt all the time

Use have to to show that something is necessary.
Ejemplo:
You have to lock the door when you leave.

Use of Could: Past Possibility or Ability
We use could to talk about what was possible in the past, what we were able or free to do:
• I could swim when I was 5 years old.
• My grandmother could speak seven languages.
• When we arrived home, we could not open the door. (...couldn't open the door.)
• Could you understand what he was saying?
We use could (positive) and couldn't (negative) for general ability in the past. But when we talk about one special occasion in the past, we use be able to (positive) and couldn't (negative). Look at these examples:

Afirmativa My grandmother could speak Spanish.
Negativa My grandmother couldn't speak Spanish.

Could: Requests
We often use could in a question to ask somebody to do something. The use of could in this way is fairly polite (formal):
• Could you tell me where the bank is, please?
• Could you send me a catalogue, please?
Could is an auxiliary verb, a modal auxiliary verb. We use could to:
• talk about past possibility or ability
• make requests
Structure of Could
subject + could + main verb
The main verb is always the bare infinitive (infinitive without "to").

Afirmativa
My grandmother could swim.

Negativa
She could not walk.

Interrogativa
Could your grandmother her?

Request
Would you mind making a copy for me? Polite and formal.
Could you look over this report? Polite and less formal.
Can you help me with this box? Polite and informal
Give me that! Very informal, or impolite.

• Would you mind is followed by a gerund.
• Can and could are followed by the base form.
• Use polite and formal language when talking with a boss or manager.
• Use polite or informal language when talking with coworkers.
• Use very informal or impolite language in an emergency or to show anger.

1. Etiqueta cada situación.
EXAMPLE: Can you answer that phone? Polite and informal
1 Would you mind reviewing my resume again? ____________________________
2 Can you help me with these reports?___________________________________
3 Call the boss right away?_____________________________________________
4 Can you come in early tomorrow morning?_______________________________
5 Would you mind changing your 2:00 appointment to 3:00?________________
6 Could you sign all three copies?______________________________________

2. Completa las respuestas. Algunas respuestas pueden usar Can or Could.
EXAMPLE: (lend me your goggles) To a friend:
Hey,Helen. Can you lend me your goggles?____________

1. (sign this check ) To your supervisor:
Oh, Ms. Reeves._______________________________________________please?
2. (open the door ) To a friend:
Say, Jose._________________________________________________for me?
3. (help me pick them up) To a stranger:
Oh no! I dropped all the reports.__________________________________________
4. (answer the phones) To your co – worker:
Oh, Arnie.__________________________________________while I’m at lunch?
5. (open the door ) To a friend: I’m in a hurry! ________________________________________________________